Sunday, December 19, 2010

Beauty in the Broken

This morning, I woke up in my typical state of mind: tired, hungry, and CRITICAL.
Tired, obviously, because I had just woken up.
Hungry, because I hadn't eaten in nearly 9 hours.
Critical, because it has always been a flaw of mine.

You see, this morning in particular, I was to be coerced into attending my grandparents' church, which I had been informed was small and simple. At the utterance of those two words, my brain and heart closed to the idea.  I woke up, dressed to impress, and ascended from the door of my grandfather's Prius with the mindset of a Kardashian and the swagger of Trey Songz. I was not at all surprised by the fact that there were only 11 cars in the lot (yes, I counted), and I couldn't help but feel my nose turn up involuntarily at the idea of such a small environment. I walked through the doors as I vowed to myself: "I will be friendly and I will not display my pride."
I was graciously greeted by a flood of smiling faces, smothered in warm, genuine hugs, and overwhelmed with compliments. It was like stepping out from under a rain cloud.
The service began after we had all taken part in a delicious potluck breakfast, and I was blown away. Although literally half the congregation was in the front leading worship, the freedom with which they lifted their praises was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Even the children sang along, lifted their hands, and danced with Joy as the music swelled. Everyone's body language, way of speaking, and movements were so different but it was apparent to even the most critical of eyes that they all lived for one purpose: to glorify GOD. They were not there only to socialize and show off their talents, they were there to fulfill the purpose endowed them by their Creator. Worship continued for nearly an hour and I stood, frozen in awe at the power that this little group of people possessed. Here I was, thinking that I was all that and a bag of chips, not open to receiving the blessing that God wanted me to receive through this tight-knit family of believers.
Their music was simple.
Their environment was simple.
Their actions were simple.
And yet, all three were unbelievably beautiful.

I am so thankful that I was "forced" to be in attendance this morning, or my eyes would still be tightly sealed to the natural beauty that surrounds me on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment