Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Value of Beauty

Over the past two days, it has been raining consistently, causing flash flooding and making it difficult to do anything outside of the house. However, yesterday, the clouds parted and the sun emerged.
I noticed it once or twice, snapped a few pictures, marveled for a moment, and then went on with my shopping. But as the day went on, my grandmother continually commented on how beautiful the sky was.

"Look at that beautiful blue sky...thank You, Lord..."
"Will you look at that? The rain's finally stopped."
"I do love a beautiful sky..."



By the third or fourth of these comments, I was annoyed. She lives here...shouldn't she be used to it? However, I glanced out the window during lunch and took it in for a moment. It was at that moment that I decided to see through someone else's eyes. And I'm so glad I did.
See, since I started this blog, the word simplicity has been recurring in my mind and I've been trying to keep it there, especially when I start to get impatient. This word implanted itself in my mind as I turned my face toward the window and I saw what my grandmother saw...and I realized: the beauty of something is not based on how "rare & valuable" it is, it is based on how valuable you allow it to be to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment